Come here each month for a new easy charity project idea, then share your creations! Let's use our crafty talents to help families in need.

If you have any comments, questions or ideas, or want to send pictures of things you are donating, please email from1mother@hotmail.com I'm also trying to find information on places across the country that accept donations...so if you know of some organizations, please send that info along as well!

Monday, December 8, 2008

so i had this great idea...

A missionary family came to our church on Sunday to tell us about their work in Congo. The wife was talking about how breastfeeding has really increased the survival rate of the children there, but because the women have to work, they can't stay home to nurse. (A topic very close to my heart since I still nurse my toddler.) I immediately heard God telling me to make some slings & send them back with this family. I made up a little gift tag that says "from one mother to another" with a picture of my little guy in his sling, and I thought that would be a great name for a charity group. I could connect with other crafty moms, and we could make baby items & donate them to mothers in need. I have friends who can help me find organizations to donate to, and my mother already does this with her knitting group- chicks with sticks (see her blog in my link list).

So I started out with baby slings, because it's something I already make, but I have a ton more ideas- quilts, fleece blankets, hats, scarves...just look at my sewing room:



(That's just one side of the room!) Anyway, I will post ideas, patterns, links, and tutorials here so anyone who wants to can join in making donations in their own community.

Here are the slings:



2 comments:

Melissa Christianson said...

The slings are gorgeous! What a great idea, Mandy!!

Jody said...

Have I told you lately how very proud you make me?! I love you Sweetie!...MOM